This article applies to ZBrush users with perpetual licenses. For subscription users, see here instead.
With the introduction of Redshift in ZBrush, there are now a number of factors to take into consideration when upgrading. This article explains your options and provides answers to the most requently asked questions.
Please read carefully so that you can get the version that best suits your needs.
Upgrade Options for ZBrush Perpetual License Users
There are three paths by which you can upgrade to ZBrush 2023:
- Purchase a perpetual license upgrade for approximately $659 per local currency. This will include the new ZBrush 2023.0 features, including the Redshift Bridge. To use the Redshift Bridge, you must subscribe to Redshift separately.
- Perpetual licenses (including upgrades from earlier versions) are only sold for the initial ZBrush 2023 release. They do not include feature updates that came after that, such as 2023.1 and 2023.2.
- Purchase a ZBrush subscription. For a time after the release of ZBrush 2023, annual subscriptions will be available at a discounted price of approximately 25% off for the first year (renewing at regular price thereafter). This will give you ZBrush 2023, with the Redshift Bridge and Redshift CPU. To use Redshift GPU, you would additionally need to purchase a Redshift subscription.
- Purchase a Maxon One subscription for about the same price as a perpetual upgrade. Approximately 45% off for the first year (renewing at the regular price thereafter). This will provide the entire Maxon One lineup and so will include the Redshift Bridge, providing Redshift GPU and CPU in ZBrush.
IMPORTANT: After upgrading, you must install the Maxon App and use that to install ZBrush 2023. You cannot update your legacy ZBrush 2022 installation or run ZBrush 2023 without the Maxon App.
How do I get the discounted pricing?
To purchase a perpetual license upgrade or receive the discounted pricing on a ZBrush annual subscription or Maxon One annual subscription as explained in points 1, 2 or 3 above, please contact Maxon directly or an authorized reseller.
Can I stay with ZBrush 2022?
Yes. You do not have to upgrade to ZBrush 2023. Your existing perpetual license grants you perpetual use of ZBrush 2022.
Can I use Redshift in ZBrush without upgrading to ZBrush 2023?
No. Redshift in ZBrush is a ZBrush 2023 feature and therefore will only work with ZBrush 2023 and not an earlier ZBrush version.
Can I upgrade to a ZBrush 2023 perpetual license initially, and add Redshift later?
Yes. All that will be necessary to add Redshift to a ZBrush 2023 perpetual license is to purchase the Redshift subscription, which will include Redshift GPU and CPU.
If I get the Maxon One subscription, will it renew at that price as well?
No, the discounted price only applies to the first year of the subscription.
ZBrushCore Perpetual Licenses
Users with legacy ZBrushCore perpetual licenses have three options:
- Purchase a Maxon One subscription at regular price. This will include Redshift GPU.
- Purchase a ZBrush subscription at regular price. This will include Redshift CPU unless you also purchase a Redshift subscription.
- Purchase a ZBrush perpetual license for $795. This will not include Redshift unless you also purchase a Redshift subscription (which would give you Redshift GPU). To purchase the perpetual license at the discounted price, please submit a Support ticket.
ZBrushCore Mini Users
Users of ZBrushCore Mini have the same options as ZBrushCore subscribers. See above.
Of course, you can also opt for a ZBrushCore subscription at $9.95/month. This will be ZBrushCore 2021 (and therefore not include any ZBrush 2022 or 2023 features such as Redshift rendering) until such time as a ZBrushCore upgrade is released.